Vacancy: Rainy City Head CoachPosted in RCRD News
Rainy City Roller Derby is looking for a League Head Coach to create and deliver a competitive and inclusive training approach for one of the top roller derby teams in the world.
About the role
The person in this role will become a member of our team of trainers and leadership. They will receive support, sharing of ideas and care within this team. They will also become an important part of our culture, and developing this is one of our key priorities post-COVID.
Volunteer position: Travel expenses to games may be partially supported through league fundraising
Fixed-term: September 2022 – December 2023
Location: We train at two venues in Salford
- Deliver the highest standards of player safety and welfare
- Work with the Training Committee to develop a league seasonal training arc
- Lead the coaching committee to
a) set and deliver training plans for competitive team training sessions that correspond with the short and long term goals of the league
b) contribute to team selection, roster selection, and player role definition
c) work with Officials to incorporate Officials’ development and growth into the approach
- Source and develop new ideas and drills for the team
- Act as bench coach for games and scrimmages
- Recruit and manage bench staff for games and scrimmages
- Assess skaters’ individual skills/team dynamics and provide constructive feedback to individuals and the team
- Foster an environment where skaters are developed individually and where the team is supported to achieve the best they are capable of
- Work with Training Director to ensure a full trainer rota (please note: the expectation is that Head Coach will coach some but not all training sessions)
- Tactical and strategic knowledge of roller derby with the ability to apply such knowledge within team training
- Current knowledge of WFTDA rules and game-play to the highest level, and a commitment to remain up to date with all changes periodically made to the rules (please note that for the right person we are able to support in building a strong understanding of roller derby rules and game play)
- Experience in the organising of training – both short and long term
- Coaching experience and motivating skills
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to build rapport and communicate with a large team of skaters comprehensively and be clearly understood in fast moving environments
- The ability to build rapport and communicate on a one-to-one basis in order to gain the best performance from individuals within the team
Appointment to this role is subject to election by our active league members.
- Closing date: 6 August 2022
- Trial coaching session: To take place during the first 3 weeks in August (Sundays 11am-2pm or Thursdays 7:30pm-9:30pm)
- League election process: 21-28 August
- Offer made before 31 August
- Start date from 1 September 2022
How to apply
Please send an expression of interest outlining your motivations for applying for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. The expression of interest should also include your coaching experience and cover how you fulfil the role’s stated responsibilities.
We invite applications from coaches with varying backgrounds, experiences and qualifications. We’re keen to hear from anyone who feels that this would be the right role for them.
This role is available as a job share. It is also available as a supported development experience for the right candidate.
About Rainy City Roller Derby
We come together (as skaters, officials, and volunteers) to create, celebrate and drive the future of roller derby.
Rainy City Roller Derby is committed to being an ambitious, sustainable and beneficial environment for skaters, officials, volunteers and fans.
We do this by:
- Striving to be at the forefront of our sporting community
- Supporting the ambitions of our members
- Actively working to provide an inclusive, open and welcoming space
We have approximately 30 active skating members with consistent league growth post-COVID. There are strong coaching teams already in place for competitive and development programmes. We also have a team manager and training directors in post to support team logistics and administration of the training programme.
Our current 2022 season commitments
27 August – 5 Nations Roller Derby Showcase – High Wycombe (UK)
25 September – Away game – Birmingham (UK)
8/9 October – Away tournament – Malmö (Sweden)
22/23 October – Home tournament – Bury (UK)
27 November – Home game – Bury (UK)
10 December – Home intraleague – Salford (UK)
Please contact email@example.com with your expressions of interest or if you have any questions.
All Stars and Tender Hooligans skater. Björk obsessive. I like cats.